Monday, August 06, 2007

I'm Not a Vegan But Still Think All Things Are Created Equal


She tells me, "she's just a cat ... they don't have the same rights as humans." I hear this all the time and haven't thought much of it. Until now.

I'll catch allot of heat over writing this but perhaps all living things should have equal rights. No, I am not a vegan, I eat meat, and yes I would kill an animal or plant for my survival as well as the survival of other humans ... well, most humans anyway ... but think about it: if we treated all living things with respect and care would we NOT be having such environmental problems and would we NOT be having so many wars and terrorists attacks? I'm not saying problems wouldn't occur but do they have to be this bad?

How do we teach people to treat all living things with respect and care? Fortunately, I have the answer to that: we teach others through example and helping them to feel better about themselves. Also, we can make some new laws. Yes, I am already aware that I am an idealistic hippie.


I've had a sick shelter cat for months now. Everyone tells me to take him back to the shelter. My other cat is rather incontinent and people say to get rid of her or lock her up. I consider them as good family so why would I do that?

Because humans have dominance and power does not give us the right to destroy that of others but instead gives us responsibility for the care of others. It's not just survival of the fittest, it is survival for all because if they go then we go.

1 comment:

CountryDew said...

Hippie, huh? I knew it. I could sense it all this time.

It would be nice if we were all cognizant of the ties between living creature. Every death diminishes me, wrote John Donne, but in this day and age, no one notices.

 

Register for free widgets at www.blogskinny.com and increase your reader traffic