Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Corporate Hell #1

I really do see dead people. Each day that I go into the cubicle trenches I see at least one more person whose light has went out; that is, if that person is even there anymore. For simplicity sake, I'll call it a "corporate buyout." No one knows when the ax is going to come or where it will come from. For a while, there was an average of one ambulance a week carting someone off for some stress-related ailment.

Workers just disappear. At 5pm on one day a person will be at his or her desk with family photos and piles of work but come 8am the next day all is gone. I have contemplated filing missing persons reports. Complete Twilight Zone -- no one knows -- people are just GONE.

Not all are average employees but are management who devoted their lives to the company when it was a small startup of ten people. The faithful (or, to be somewhat rude, stupid) who have even had salaries frozen for the past three years (for the sake of the company) are gone. Yep, I have been one of the faithful/stupid.

Despite my best efforts, the bitterness has engulfed my every being and turned me into a giant pus-filled nasty disgusting filthy black acidic canker sore that just keeps on blowing open. The high blood pressure and migraines and insomnia and ... have to go but leaving is alike trying to break through of an abusive relationship with your spouse. All self-esteem has been reduced to nothing and there is no gas to go.

So today I resigned anyway, screw them -- whoever they are. God be with those still there because no one else will.

1 comment:

CountryDew said...

Wow, big step. Congratulations. Sounds like you needed to get out of there. The lack of stress will help you a lot.

Love the blog.

 

Register for free widgets at www.blogskinny.com and increase your reader traffic