Tuesday, December 12, 2006

How Do We Choose Our Battles?

"What you are about to see in there is not easy. It will take your courage." -- Felix Mutagoma, the Mayor of Gikongoro, a small town three hours southwest of Kigali, Rwanda

Hoping to see a simple action-adventure flick, I purchased tickets to Blood Diamond this past weekend and was caught off-guard when I found myself doing the whole "Hotel-Rwanda-experience" again -- tears and all. These types of atrocities are always difficult to watch. Personally knowing African refugees makes it that much harder.

I have nothing profound to say and no clever comments to make that haven't already been said by someone. I'll just type a couple of quotes that stand out in my mind from the movie:
  • African citizen to another: "I can't imagine what will happen to us if they ever discover oil here."
  • African citizen to American Journalist: "If you write about this, will the Americans help?" Journalist: "No..."
Go to http://blooddiamondmovie.warnerbros.com/ and click the "Global Conflict" link for a time line of events.

No comments:

 

Register for free widgets at www.blogskinny.com and increase your reader traffic