Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Step Five: Rebuilding

"Danger past. The feeling that something was gone. Something that was part of you. Something that you needed. It protected you. The violence that you wore like a cloak of honor. The feeling that you could protect your world with fists has gone. It's not leaking out of you, it's pouring away, fast fast, faster. You're of no use to it any more. Maybe...maybe now you can fly with the gods."*

Warm and steamed with soap, I sat in a hot tub tonight in attempt to allow the recent stress to melt away and go spinning down the drain. After three nights of unrest the cats have quieted down and I got a little sleep.

Though I have no clue what lies ahead, I try to savor what little calm I can. I've eaten some food, brushed my hair, and slathered my skin with lotion -- things I have not been able to do for a while.

In the movie 16 Years Of Alcohol, Frankie managed to get a touch of peace. By slowing down his frantic running, he was able to take a look at what he was running from and stare the beast in the eye.

It is unclear what exactly happened to Frankie after his past literally caught up to him and beat him to a bloody pulp as he lay still on the concrete. We do not know if he got back up from the attack but it is clear that he had recognized the recurrent destructive patterns of his life and had given them up. Even if it meant the death of him, he would not participate in the violence of his life:

"If everything that you'd ever ruined fell from the sky at this moment...then the world would be covered in darkness. Is this what you really wanted -- is this the dream? Do you have it now? ...The shape of your journey -- at last you can see it. Maybe it's time to start the clocks ticking again. Look time in the face and forget about the past. Stop the past leaking into your heart. "*

Though the Gillian Welch folksy-love-song playing at the end of the movie implies the love relationship between Frankie and his girlfriend I can't help but to wonder if it is really a love song about Frankie finding his way back to his own true self:

"Oh I dream a highway back to you love
A winding ribbon with a band of gold
A silver vision come molest my soul
I dream a highway back to you.

Step into the light, poor Lazarus
Don't lie alone behind the window shade
Let me see the mark death made
I dream a highway back to you.

What will sustain us through the winter?
Where did last years lessons go?
Walk me out into the rain and snow
I dream a highway back to you.

Oh I dream a highway back to you love
A winding ribbon with a band of gold
A silver vision come and bless my soul
I dream a highway back to you"

1 comment:

CountryDew said...

Hang tight, it'll be alright.

 

Register for free widgets at www.blogskinny.com and increase your reader traffic