Sunday, January 20, 2008

Grease AND Petroleum In Your Burger: Part II


I'm sure you're glad to know that there are no wild animals running amok in our local farmer's market. As I promised in my last post, I did get my current groceries from a farmer's market. Except for Vitamin Water, everything I bought was fairly local (farthest being Kansas). There was even a farmer there advertising his milk which was hormone free and cost the same as more popular brands. I purchased eggs, fruits, vegetables, and breads, etc. and actually paid about 60% LESS than I normally would at the popular markets all the while NOT participating in the costly transportation of agriculture!

I'm extremely pleased with my successful venture and will continue to shop there. The awareness of not only the cost-factor produced in our dietary habits but the health and safety factors have become very frightening to me. How many of you are aware of the full impact of the genetic modification of the food you eat? If you aren't, then I advise that you do some research.

For example, were you aware that Monsanto creates special PATENTED seeds that are modified for shipping durability? How do these modified seeds affect our health? I would think that our bodies do not have the immunity for modified food as we do to natural foods; thus, allergies increase and who knows what else.

There are a handful of companies (DuPont, Monsanto, etc) that completely control agricultural economics. For example, Monsanto's "Terminator Technology" causes seeds to become sterile after one use so that farmer's will have to depend on said company for seeds. I'm not a farmer but shouldn't seeds be able to reproduce?

Supposedly, this particular terminator technology is restricted to help the "small farmer" but there are plenty of other ways these companies dominate what goes into our mouths. These companies have also been known to create seeds that will be prone to certain insect infestations that may occur in the year so that the farmers will be forced to buy that SAME company's herbicide. Again, what does this do to our bodies?

I could go on but, for now, I'll just keep trying to buy locally.
There are already many good articles out there for your perusal. Here are a couple:

*CEWAP
*OurFood.com

PS: Here's one for those conspiracy theorists to investigate: The biochemical/agriculatural companies are secretly teaming up with the pharmaceutical companies to completely dominate our bodies, finances, and the world!

1 comment:

CountryDew said...

Trying to buy local and eat local is great and I'm glad you were successful. You may actually begin to feel better for eating better...

 

Register for free widgets at www.blogskinny.com and increase your reader traffic