Monday, July 20, 2009

Sweatshops And Health Insurance



In the past few months, I've had one sick day. Since that day, I have received an e-mail or phone call from my firm discouraging this behavior.

Since then, I've made a point of scheduling any medical appointments at early morning or lunch times so that work will not be missed.

This morning, I went to the doctor and was told that I have a mass in my chest. This is most likely a cyst since those run in my biological family but given the recent pulmonary and cardiovascular problems I've had, though not in high distress, I have been concerned.

However, this afternoon I get ANOTHER e-mail from my employer reading to have no sick days "unless I am on death's door." I find out that something is growing in my chest and then I have to come in to this behavior. I have tests scheduled early on two different days later this week. I do not know what I am to do.

It is obvious that I have to go have these tests but I am so very incredibly offended at the inappropriate remarks and harassing behavior that I have to put up with.

This is the SECOND company I have been with that has asked their employees to NOT take sick days and/or NOT go to see a doctor. If they are not going to let employees use the benefits, then they should not offer them and ship the damn jobs overseas to begin with.

Last week, I found out that my previous employer is having all employees pay out-of-pocket for their health insurance on unpaid days that they miss. Given certain circumstance, I might almost understand this but let me give you a typical scenario. This company requires that their staff work 60 - 80 salaried hours a week, requests that they do not go to the doctor, and gives their employees a high-deductible-health-plan.

For example, my friend who works there has a $6,000 deductible and has already spent a couple of weeks in a cardiovascular hospital this year. This same person will need to take maternity leave soon, which means, that ALL medical expenses will have to be personally covered. These technology companies are running sweat-shops by creating hazardous working environments in addition to making constant threats that if ridiculous conditions are not met then jobs will be sent overseas.

I'm completely appalled. It is not as if I can go to my employer and say "... remember that condition about being 'at death's door'? ... well, that might be where I'm at." If I were to say that then I guarantee you they will find some way to get me unemployed. Heartless.

I may as well be living in a Dicken's novel instead of modern America.

1 comment:

CountryDew said...

This horrifying.

 

Register for free widgets at www.blogskinny.com and increase your reader traffic