Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Music In My Life: Part III



I first hear Hector Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique while watching 'Sleeping With The Enemy.' For some reason, I find the dark, forceful melodies vacillating with a dreadful torment and sadness oddly familiar so I mostly extract portions from movements one and five into one piece while assuring that all my strengths are touched upon. This is what I use for my audition with the university.

It seems that I perform it ok but I am met with silence from the three bearded and disheveled professors who sit before me. This committee asks me where I had found this piece? Lying, I tell them that I had heard on the radio. I do not know why I lied but it slipped out too quickly for me and I could not reel it back in.

They ask to see my manuscript and I explain to them that the music is in my head. They appear confused and ask me to sight-read more material. I begin to worry that I should have used the plain sheet music my high school band director had given me but I seem to read the unfamiliar notes fairly well. They thank me, respond that the audition is over, and I am free to leave.


No comments:

 

Register for free widgets at www.blogskinny.com and increase your reader traffic