Wednesday, May 14, 2008

No Healing In Health Care


So ... I've blogged quite a bit about health care woes as the past couple of years have been filled with me being sick with one thing or another. I took a new job to get more pay and less stress in the hopes that would help my health.

Since I've been at the job, I've received multiple e-mails requesting that employees not make any medical appointments due to United Healthcare refusing to deliver on their quotes. As I awaited coverage, my blood pressure continued to rise, then my kidneys started bleeding, and I was forced to go to the doctor who ordered more tests, most of which, I had to delay. Yesterday, I was finally able to schedule my echo cardiogram and heart monitor setup to make sure I'm not going to go into cardiac arrest and then today I receive this e-mail:

Team – we’ve had a new development in the ongoing Health Insurance saga. We finally received the paperwork from UHC to start our new group policy, but the rates were 207% higher than what we were originally quoted. The 207% increase reflects the most that the State of Missouri allows a carrier to charge over their “retail” rate. The increase was due to our overall health rating and past medical history. We are taking steps to address the situation and hope to have a solution soon. Again, while we go through this process, please attempt to delay any medical visits you can.

With all the stress, I burst into tears and came home. I have no good response at this time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It can't possibly be legal for your company to ask you to postpone healthcare! Although they don't HAVE to actually provide healthcare, that's a long way from preventing you from seeking care.

This might be worth investigating.

Unknown said...

a social worker at the hospital where I work told me quite awhile ago that United Health Care sucks. Looks like she is correct.

CountryDew said...

This just doesn't sound right at all. I am so sorry you're feeling bad.

Anonymous said...

Are you paying for any part of your healthcare? If so, then they have no right to ask you not to go when you need to do so.

At least that is how I understand it.

If they pay the full amount of you health insurance then I'm not sure if your hands are tied or not.

Either way, it's probably a breach of contract or something if they promise you a benefit as compensation but do not provide it.

 

Register for free widgets at www.blogskinny.com and increase your reader traffic