Sunday, February 22, 2009

Shameless and Gameless


Ok, so today I went out to grab some lunch but somehow ended up at my phone / internet provider's store to search for a way to get DSL access ASAP. The sales lady asked me why it is so urgent and I told her I use the DSL for work (true statement.) I was impressed that she was so understanding. She asked if I would like to borrow an air card to tide me over.

This air card could very possibly cause allot of lag time for Halo so I lied and insinuated that I am developing and testing an application for (a prominent client we have) that requires me to run the connection through my XBox. At that point, she began to work on getting my DSL access earlier. She'll let me know tomorrow.

As soon I walked out of the shop, I realized the shamefulness of my actions. When had I ever stooped so low before? I'm sure I must have at some point. Do I need to attend a twelve-step group?

The irony is the hypocrisy of it all. Earlier in the day I had been thinking about my time working in social services. I refused to work with substance abusers because they lie so much. They get into such a habit of lying to cover up their addictions that they don't even realize when they are lying and that drove me crazy. There were other staff members more suited to dealing with addictions and I had other specialties but wow ... how odd.

I know that this will come back to bite me. I'd bet that next month I get billed for two services and two installations and it will take six months to straighten out. Maybe I'll cancel the second request?

No comments:

 

Register for free widgets at www.blogskinny.com and increase your reader traffic