Saturday, January 06, 2007

The Bottom Line

"Faith is an island in the setting sun, But proof is the bottom line for everyone.” Paul Simon

I've always wanted to be stronger. I want to be the person with never-ending patience, understanding, and compassion but I always seem to fail.

In the business world, it is good to be understanding of an employee going through difficult times knowing that the troubles will pass and keeping the employee is worth the wait. Problems occur when the troubles never seem to pass and the BOTTOM LINE is reached. If the employer does not have a bottom line then there is a threat to the existence of the whole company. Should the company go under for one person? I don't know. Risking his flock, there was supposedly a shepherd who went in search of just one sheep.

I've come to the bottom line too many times with people. I do not know if it is because I've had extremes in "troubled" people or ... I am just not strong enough. I ALWAYS blame myself because there is ALWAYS a bottom line -- the point where my emotional and/or physical well-being come crashing down into a pile of rubble which I cannot seem to rebuild very easily.

For example, how long should a person suffer for an addict to obtain some sort of self-intuition and act on it? How long should a person hope to be seen, heard, and loved for who he/she is when the other person does not even seem capable of that for their own self? How long does a spouse wait for an abusive spouse to stop the beating or how long does a child endure parental abuse?

The answer always lies is the stinky and rancid BOTTOM LINE -- the point where either survival of self overcomes kindness to others or death occurs.

I've prayed to be stronger. I thought I had done all the right things to be so: dealing with my own demons, making healthy decisions....but obviously, something has gone wrong. Again.

1 comment:

CountryDew said...

I think you're a very strong person and have thought so for all of the years I have known you (and that is a great many). You discount the strength it takes just to wake and face another day, sometimes. It is enough to just "be" but we don't see it that way, people like you and me. We always think we are deficit.

But we are not. You are a good and kind person, and I know this from your words, the times you've written me, the things you say and express. There is strength in goodness, but it is a quiet and slow strength. Those who do not command the strength of goodness usually cannot recognize how strong someone really is. And of course, we always never see it in ourselves.

Hang tight and keep hoping my friend. I am noping with you.

 

Register for free widgets at www.blogskinny.com and increase your reader traffic